Do you (or someone you know) have trouble sleeping or staying awake? Sleep disorders may affect over 70 million Americans according to “Your Guide to Healthy Sleep” from the U.S. National Institutes for Health.
You can get this 64-page guidebook either as a free pdf download or as a free paper copy mailed to you. For a paper version, enter “1” as the quantity (Qty) and then add it to your cart. You will go through a checkout process, but no payment will be required. Limit 1 copy per customer.
This wonderful free book discusses the science of sleep, sleep myths, tips to get to sleep, and sleep disorders. It also includes a sample sleep diary (right) that you can use to track your own patterns. For those who need more help, the book includes contact information for other sleep research organizations and foundations.
Here are a just a few of the many tips for healthy sleeping that this book recommends:
- Stick to a sleep schedule
- Avoid caffeine and nicotine altogether
- Avoid alcohol and large meals before bed
- Don’t nap after 3 pm
- Relax (read, listen to music, stretch, bath) before bed
- Make sure you get the right amount of sunlight exposure
- Don’t lie in bed awake (go back to some relaxing activities)