A raincheck allows you to purchase an item at the current advertised price at a later date. Rainchecks are used if the item is out of stock during the sale. In the picture below, the sale of Tillamook cheese for $1.00 was so popular that the store shelves were wiped out when we got there. With this raincheck, we can go back to the store anytime in the next two months and get up to 10 packages of cheese at the sale price, even if the price is higher then.
How to get a raincheck:
- You can get a raincheck from a cashier or the customer service desk. It helps to show the ad with the sale price. Often they’ll cut it out and staple it to the raincheck.
- You may not be able to get a raincheck if the ad states “while supplies last”.
- The raincheck will have the store name, the date issued, a description of the item, the sale price, how many you can purchase, and the expiration date.
- Rainchecks can normally only be used at the specific store at which they are given out, not others in the chain.
- You can buy less than the number of items listed on the raincheck, but not more. Usually the cashier has to take the raincheck, so if you buy less, you can’t come back later and get more at that price.
- Rainchecks are often good for 60 days. The actual expiration date will be noted.
- If part of the sale involved getting register coupons for “$x off your next order” (known as catalinas) or coupons that would have printed out on the receipt (like the Rite Aid +Up coupons) those will not print out after the sale week. Stores vary whether they will calculate those into your raincheck price.
- Keep rainchecks in your coupon organizer so you don’t lose track of them.
How to use a raincheck:
- Let the cashier know you have a raincheck before they ring up the items.
- You can use manufacturer coupons and double coupons with a raincheck.
So, don’t be sad if the store is out of a sale item, just get a raincheck. Then, instead of having the option of that sale price for only a short week, you’ll have a whole two months. Use the time to watch for coupons that will combine with your raincheck for an even better deal.