Double coupons are a powerful way to save at many Safeway stores. Here are answers to the most common questions about Safeway double coupons.
What is a Safeway double coupon?
It just means that a coupon you use is worth more, up to double as much. You don’t need extra coupons (unless you are in Oregon or southwest Washington, see below).
Let’s say you have a 50 cent coupon for Pillsbury cookie dough. At a Safeway that doubles coupons, the cash register would make that coupon worth $1.00. Pillsbury covers the original 50 cent value of the coupon, and the local Safeway store covers the 50 cent double (50 cents + 50 cents = $1.00).
What does Safeway’s coupon policy say about double coupons?
The Safeway coupon policy says:
”Check with your local store regarding 'double coupon' advertised promotions where customers will receive double the coupon face value off the regular or club card price up to the advertised limit. Not all locations offer double coupon promotions. Limitations and restrictions for double coupon promotions may change at any time. Changes will be posted in store only.”
Safeway lets local stores set double coupon rules, because local stores pay for the doubling costs. So, for specifics you will need to ask at the customer service desk at your store. Keep reading, though, for general info on double coupons at Safeway.
What kinds of coupons can be doubled at Safeway?
Safeway will double:
- Manufacturer coupons for a specific amount (like $0.50 off Yoplait yogurt)
Safeway will not double:
- Safeway store coupons
- Coupons found in the Safeway weekly ads
- Coupons for free items
- Buy-one-get-one-free coupons
- Electronic coupons (Ecoupons)
- Catalina coupons (see a catalina at the end of this article)
- Coupons that state “Do not double”
Can the coupon barcode tell me if a coupon will double at Safeway?
If the first number below a UPC coupon barcode is a “5” the coupon should automatically double at Safeway. If the first digit is a “9” it won’t. However, coupon barcodes are changing away from UPC codes to less readable GS1 barcodes. See more about coupon barcodes here.
How do Safeway double coupon rules vary across the US?
Here are some general trends on how Safeway stores double coupons across the US. (Remember that individual stores may be different.)
- Safeway doubles coupons up to $0.99. (So a $0.75 coupon would be $1.50 off; a $2.00 coupon would not be doubled since it is more than $0.99).
CO, WY, AZ:
- Safeway doubles coupons up to $0.50. Coupons over $0.51 are valued at $1.00.
OR, Southwest WA:
- Cut out the double coupon in the weekly ad (see pic). Hand it to the cashier with your manufacturer coupons. Can double up to 4 coupons up to $0.50 each. There’s no maximum coupon value, so here a $2.00 coupon would be worth $2.50 after doubling.
- Coupons up to $0.39 triple and coupons valued $0.40 to $0.50 double. (Also, can only double or triple 1 of the same coupon per transaction.)
HI, northern CA, most of WA:
- Safeway stores do not offer double coupons here.
We’d love to hear if your local Safeway has different coupon doubling rules than the ones listed. (See “Contact” at the top right of this page.)
When we get something for free at our local Safeway, it is usually because we used a coupon that doubled. So, we are big fans of the double coupons at Safeway.
For more info on finding and using coupons at Safeway, see our complete Safeway coupon guide here.